Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Ouch, rough day

Watching the Today Show this morning, I was excited to hear more about a "shocking" NYTimes opinion article that was shaking up the culinary world. Instantly I was intrigued. As an avid Food Network fan and Top Chef die hard fan, I wanted to know what all the fuss was about. Yet once I found out who the chef was-- it all made sense...


Although I'm not aware of him, a well known columnist Pete Wells, wrote a scathing review of Food Network's Guy Fieri' new restaurant in Times Square. The columnist was so brutal in his review, that he actually created a new ranking of: poor, which wasn't even an option beforehand! The the review of Fieri's restaurant was absolutely lethal- ripping apart every element of the restaurant: service, drinks, and the food. This review is a must read: click here.

This restaurant review received so much press, not only for its brutal honesty but also the way it was composed. The whole piece was written entirely in a question format and many of them rhetorical at that. No matter the notoriety Guy Fieri has, to receive such a horrible review in the New York Times of all newspapers and then receive an immense amount of press, can not be a good way to start this new restaurant venture. 

Although, I'm not the biggest fan of Guy Fieri, I actually feel bad for the guy. No pun intended. 

I found this really enlightening, especially with all of the exposure we'd had in class to op-eds and various outlets for individuals to express their opinions, in this case the prestigious, New York Times. I'm sure we have all had really horrible restaurant experiences, but I have never been so appalled by every aspect of a restaurant, like Pete Wells was. 

Do you think this review was a bit much, or appreciate his honesty and approach to writing it?

1 comment:

  1. After reading the review, it is difficult to believe that an experience was truly that bad. Part of me wonders if Pete Wells was going into the dining experience with an attitude determined to complain. As someone who has worked many years in a restaurant, I can tell that some customers come in with difficult attitude and no matter what happens they are able to find something to complain about -- the music is too loud, the specials aren't 'special', the water glasses don't have handles...you name it, I have heard it. After reading this article I would almost be tempted to try the restaurant to see if it was really as bad as he said it was. Celebrities always say, "any press is good press" and I wonder if this is the case for restaurant reviews as well. An interesting find -- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete